Saturday, May 2, 2015

Music, the 90s, and Me.


In the early 90s I was just starting to discover who I was.  These days I'm still very artistically expressive and I love to sing but back then I also wrote stories, and poetry and did sketches but times change and I've grown up and there just isn't as much time in a day now, so stories and poetry have turned into random blog posts of memories.

Looking back I'm somewhat ashamed of some of my musical choices.  I bought a few tapes in the 90s and one of those was Mariah Carey "Music box".  These days it's painful for me to listen to her music.  That said, some of the artists I listened to during that time have have stayed with me over the years.  For example, I still sometimes find myself singing Alanis Morisette's "Ironic" which was one of my favourite songs at the time.

But the song I think that has stuck with me the most and, possibly had a positive influence on me, from the 90s is "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree.

I found the song inspirational.  It speaks to me.  It tells a story of strength, listening to your heart and being true to who you are despite what other people might think which I've done a lot over the years.

It's a message, and a song, I've also shared with my daughter.

"Listen as your day unfolds, challenge what the future holds
Try and keep your head up to the sky
Lovers, they may cause you tears
Go ahead release your fears, stand up and be counted
Don't be ashamed to cry

You gotta be
You gotta be bad, you gotta be bold, you gotta be wiser
You gotta be hard, you gotta be tough, you gotta be stronger
You gotta be cool, you gotta be calm, you gotta stay together
All I know, all I know, love will save the day"

Have a listen. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment