Friday, July 15, 2011

Chicken Fingers!


It's been a pretty busy day today. Hubby, baby and I went to Once Upon a Child and picked up a few pairs of shorts for her as she had outgrown a lot of what she already had and some of what was fitting had holes!

Baby really enjoyed the shopping adventure, especially the toys in the store. She was a bit disappointed to be leaving all of them there. lol. I explained to her that she'd have to trade in some of her current toys if she wanted "newer" ones. :) Still looking for a way to organize the tornado that is the toys at our place!

Next weekend is hubby's cousin's baby shower so we also went shopping for her. Unfortunately we aren't able to make it to the shower but I wanted to make sure to get her something nice. It's hard to believe that our "baby" is already almost 2! Where does the time fly!

Anyway, with that in mind, recently, I thought it would be cool to expose her to her first ever chicken fingers. The only problem of course is that we are a gluten free family and really, since I was diagnosed as Celiac in 2008, I haven't had chicken fingers. I just didn't know how to make them.

So with inspiration from recently watching Jamie Oliver, I decided maybe it wouldn't be "that" hard. I did some digging on the internet and found scads of recipes for regular chicken fingers. Most used flour and I wasn't sure how to get around that but one used Rice Krispies. Again it used flour, and other gluteny things but it gave me an idea.

So. . .I thought. . .I'll use Nature's Path Crispy Rice! With no recipe to go by I was kind of winging it but the results were pretty good! Especially for a first try. :)

The only complaint that hubby had was the they were a bit overcooked on the one side so I'm modifying my "recipe" to include turning them over midway through cooking. :)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups Nature's Path Crispy Rice cereal crushed (measurement is cereal before crushing)
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a cookie pan
with tin foil and lightly grease.
2) Place butter in a shallow bowl.
3) In a separate shallow bowl, mix the crushed cereal, salt and garlic powder.
4) Dip chicken strips in the butter, then press into the cereal
mixture to evenly coat.
5) Arrange on the cookie pan.
6) Bake 25 minutes in preheated oven, turning once half way through cooking.
7) Cook until chicken juices run clear.




No comments:

Post a Comment