Wednesday, September 14, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 5

On Day 5 of the 30 day blog challenge I'm supposed to make a post on my favourite comfort foods.  Growing up I had a lot of specific foods and brands of foods that I felt comfort from eating.  Unfortunately when I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in 2008, a lot of those foods became inaccessible.  You just can't buy them gluten free or they don't have the same texture or taste.  Examples include - Pita Pit, Dunkaroos, Phyllo pastries, Chicken Pot pie, Tim Horton's Donuts, etc, etc.  I expect in time I will have new favourites but in the meantime these are my favourite comfort foods. :)


I'd expect this to be on a lot of people's comfort food's lists - Campbell's Chicken rice soup.  Prior to my Celiac diagnosis I was a huge fan of Campbell's Chicken noodle soup.  When I got sick it was always what I turned to first.  I would notoriously spill chicken noodle soup on myself absolutely every time I ate it too.  Apparently I'm super clumsy while sick.

Next up is chicken fingers.  I didn't take the picture as I haven't had restaurant chicken fingers for a long time now.  Still they're on my list of comfort foods.  I absolutely loooove chicken fingers with plum sauce.  I haven't actually checked at this point if plum sauce is gluten free yet though.


I used to work at McDonald's so I ate these a bit more frequently I'm guessing than the average person.  I absolutely love hot fudge sundaes.  This summer was disappointing though as I've recently become casein intolerant so I couldn't eat any ice cream at all.  When I was pregnant I used to send my husband out for sundaes at all hours.

What blog post on comfort food would be complete without a post on Chocolate chip cookies?!  As I mentioned previously, I'm now casein (dairy) free in addition to being gluten free which can put a cramp in your style but lucky Mary's Gone Crackers makes gluten free, dairy free chocolate chip cookies that taste awesome!  Not to mention they contain chia which I've heard is good for you. :)
Chili.  When I went to the hospital to have my daughter I actually packed chili to eat afterwards.


Nachos.  They're honestly more of a social food than a comfort food per say but they are soooo very yummy and they help you to relax and mingle with other people.  They make me feel happy when I eat them because they taste so good. :)


So there you have it.  My favourite comfort foods.  I could have included more I guess but I haven't found a gluten free donut that tastes anything like a Tim Horton's one yet.  When that happens, I'll have to include it on my list as well. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment