Monday, October 3, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 24

Your Favourite Movie and What it's About:

It's hard to believe that I'm already on day 24 of the 30 day blog challenge!  Anyway, today's topic is your favourite movie and what it's about.

Honestly, I don't watch a lot of movies these days but as a child I LOVED the Little Mermaid.  The movie came out in 1989.  I'm really not sure why my parents didn't buy it at that point since they rented it for me easily 100 times.  $20 probably would have been a lot cheaper than all those rental fees but perhaps they thought they wouldn't have to watch it as often if we didn't own a copy. lol.  Eventually my parents lucked out because Disney put Little Mermaid in "the vault" and I couldn't rent it any more.  I was very disappointed at the time.

When Disney re-released the movie I bought a VHS copy of it.  I still watch it when I'm sick and I watched it when I was in labour with our daughter.  I hope that our daughter enjoys someday as much as I did.  Here's a clip:


The Little Mermaid is the story of a girl who doesn't exactly fit in with her family.  Her family has certain expectations of her but she sees the world differently than they do.  She's curious and creative and she falls in love with a prince who happens to live on land while she, as a mermaid, lives in water.  Her father doesn't approve of this but eventually gives her his blessing and helps her to live happily ever after.

In 1994 another movie came out which I was incredibly excited at the prospect of seeing.  I had read the book and the life story of Louisa May Alcott and when I saw the advertisements for the movie, Little Women, I couldn't wait for it to come out on video!  I asked for the movie for Christmas, having never seen it before that point and now my VHS copy is well worn.  Here's a clip:


I love the closeness the family in the movie shares and I have a fascination with the Victorian time period.  The story has so many different stories wrapped into it but generally follows the story of Jo (Josephine) March who is awkward and doesn't exactly fit the expectations of society at the time.  Her family accepts her for who she is and it is clear that they love her.  She is creative, writes stories and plays and acts them out and throws away "a perfectly good marriage proposal" during the film in favour of finding herself.  Eventually we are led to believe that she finds her perfect match.

So, those are my two favourite movies.  What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment