Monday, May 7, 2012

Porridge!!


We don't eat oats around here so porridge is something we have been missing for a while. In fact, Monkey had never tasted porridge before!


A few weeks ago I tried making up some Millet for breakfast. It tasted good but I found it a bit dry and the next day it wasn't even close to porridge consistency after being in the fridge.

Thankfully there's Pinterest! I was browsing the other day and came across this recipe - http://mothering.com/recipes/high-protein-porridge-0

So yesterday, I decided to try it out and I have to say it's the closest to Quaker instant porridge I've had in a long time! It tasted great with a bit of brown sugar too!  Not to mention, I reheated it this morning and it had much the same consistency!  I think we have a winner!

I'm going to include the recipe here just in case something ever happens to the magazine link but Mothering.com should essentially take the credit for this recipe. :) I omitted a few things that we didn't have in the house. Enjoy!

Porridge
Ingredients:
1/3 cup quinoa
1/3 cup millet
1/3 cup amaranth
5 cups water 

Directions:
Place grains, and water in large heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment