Friday, January 4, 2013

History?


I was watching Bomb Girls the other night and was kind of shocked.  In case you don't watch the show, Bomb Girls is about a bunch of women working in an ammunitions factory in the 1940s.  It's currently in it's second season and I've found the show pretty entertaining so far.

Anyway, back to my point. As I said, I was shocked.  There are a number of female characters in the show and during this particular episode the focus is on Kate and Betty.  It is hinted at in the episode, and I believe in the series in general that Betty is a lesbian.  In this particular episode though, during a great evening of together, while playing piano with Kate, Betty makes a move to kiss Kate and tells her that she loves her.

Kate leaves the bar they're at stating that she doesn't feel that way.  That, in and of itself I didn't find particularly shocking but it was what happened afterwards that was just completely crazy to me.

Kate's father comes into town and finds out about what his daughter has been doing and calls Betty a deviant.  Again, not something I wouldn't expect of the time.

What really shocked and bothered me was what happened next.

Betty goes to work and her supervisor approaches her with a letter written by Kate's dad exposing her as a lesbian.  She is forced to DENY that she is a lesbian and convince her supervisor that she never kissed Kate (Something I will add happened OFF of work property and is completely in her private life) or she would be FIRED!

I couldn't imagine living in a world where who you had a relationship with could result in losing your job.  It just seems so unbelievable to me that those kind of things happened.  Unfortunately I'm guessing they're still happening somewhere.  Makes you think doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment