Friday, January 10, 2014

My Favourite Childhood Book


When I was a kid I loved books.  Every night before bed one of my parents would read my siblings and I a book, or maybe a couple, depending on how long they were.

Two books particularly stand out as my favourite childhood books:

The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton. . .


and Jenny and Jupie by Gyo Fujikawa


The Going to Bed book takes the reader through the story of a bunch of animals getting ready for bed.  At the end of the particular copy of the book that my family owned, there was a song about Hippos dancing in mud.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a copy of the song but it still plays in my head immediately when I think of the book, though unfortunately I can't remember all of the words.

Shortly after my daughter was born my mom purchased a copy of the Going to Bed book in board book form for her.  I still love reading it and it's one of her favourite's too.

As for Jenny and Jupie, it was a huge favourite of mine though apparently pretty long as kid's books go.  I haven't read it now in years but I remember absolutely loving the pictures.  It was the story of a little girl who takes off on a space adventure with an alien.  As a child I always thought it would be really fun to have an adventure like that.

Do you have any favourite childhood books? What did you love about them?


No comments:

Post a Comment