Saturday, July 6, 2024

More Shepherd's Pie - Turkey oven version

This is one of those scenarios when I was too hungry, the food was too good, and I of course did not get a photo. This was actually fairly pretty though and looked kind of like this drawing above. So you'll have to imagine it. I took 2 different recipes and took parts from each of them and came up with my own version of Turkey Shepherd's pie. So for your enjoyment. . .(and mine so I remember what I put in it some other time. . .)

Turkey Shepherd's pie

Ingredients:

Filling:
1 tbsp Becel Vegan Margarine
1 cup Chopped carrots
1 cup Broccoli chopped (I used frozen and rinsed with warm water before cooking to remove ice)
1 lb ground turkey (I used Maple Leaf Prime with Rosemary)
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp Fody Chicken stock powder
1 cup water

Topping:
2 lbs of potatoes (peeled and chopped)
4 tbsp Becel Vegan Margarine

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Make mashed potatoes:

Option A:  In my case I put the peeled and chopped potatoes into my Instant pot and pressure cooked with 1 cup of water for 15 minutes and quick released afterwards. No need to drain water just mash them and add 4 tbsp of margarine.

Option B: You can also put the potatoes in a pot, add enough water to cover them, bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and cook for about 20 minutes. Then drain water and mash, adding 4 tbsp of margarine.

3. While the mashed potatoes are cooking, melt the margarine in a large frying pan at medium high heat. 
4. Add the carrots and broccoli and cook until softened and lightly browned.
5. Add a spritz of olive oil to the mixture.
6. Then add oregano, thyme and ground turkey to the mixture and cook until turkey is no longer pink and is cooked through.
7.  Combine cornstarch, water and Fody chicken stock powder and pour over mixture. Stir until thickened.
8. Spread mixed evenly into a 9 x 13" baking dish.
9. Top evenly with mashed potatoes.
10. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment