The other night we didn't have a whole lot of food in the house so when it came time for making dinner I was kind of stumped. Shepherd's pie started to sound good but I didn't have any broth in the house. So, after finding an idea online for replacing broth with soy sauce or tamari I modified it. :) Came out really yummy!
4 large potatoes (unpeeled), cubed (2 lb/1 kg)
1/2 cup (50 mL) rice milk
1 lb lean ground beef
2 tsp onion powder
1-1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tbsp wheat free tamari (I use San-J)
1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
1) Place potatoes in a large sauce pan filled with water. Heat to boiling and boil for 20 minutes. Drain and return to pot. Mash, adding rice milk.
2) Meanwhile, in skillet, fry ground beef.
3) Add onion powder to ground beef. Add frozen peas at the end of the meat cooking time. Cook until defrosted.
4) Mix together Tamari and water and add mixture to ground beef holding approximately 1/4 cup back to add to corn starch for thickening.
5) Gradually add corn starch tamari mixture to liquids in frying pan, stirring to thicken.
4) Cook, uncovered in frying pan for about 10 minutes.
5) Place beef mixture in casserole dish. Put mashed potatoes on top. Use a fork to fluff slightly to make peaks if desired.
6) Cook at 400 degrees until bubbling and slightly browned (about 30 minutes).