Thursday, January 2, 2014

Friendship and Home Parties


I would be lying if I told you I didn't attend a lot of house parties in my college days.  If I was invited, or if there was a party in my residence, or if a friend mentioned a party I was usually there.  I took it as a great opportunity to meet new people, and make new friends.  I felt popular.  For the first time in my life if I walked down the hall it was very likely that someone would say hi and invite me somewhere.

Fast forward a few years and I had retained a select few of these friends and those who had formerly had house parties now hosted Tupperware parties, or pampered chef.  I enjoyed the parties but still hung out with my friends outside of the parties and although we now seldom went to house parties we now went out to the bar or to a nice restaurant or hung out at each others' houses.

I still look back on a time when I had a best friend who I could call up in the middle of the night crying and she'd tell me to come right over immediately.  It didn't matter if it was 2 in the morning.  She cared. Unfortunately her and I lost touch when I moved in 2005. I luckily happened to run into her at the grocery store minutes before we were about to leave.  I told her I was moving.  She said "when?" I said "right now." She gave me a big hug.  We held each other for a few minutes and then my boyfriend at the time told me to hurry up we had to go and I left her.  I was teary, she was teary. I left a lot of people without an explanation that day and I'm guessing they think I'm an awful person since I just dropped off the face of the planet one day.  It's not the way I wanted to do it.

I rekindledsome  friendships when I returned to my home town but they had changed, and I had changed and over time we drifted apart again.  When I met my, now, husband he became my best friend.  However he's not a girl and I really do miss that strong girl friendship.  Unfortunately my closest girl friends live out of town and I don't feel like I've developed strong friendships in my city.

I think a portion of my problems might have been caused by social media.  As much as I try to develop friendships through facebook, I think they flop because we never really have to talk to each other in person or go to each other's houses and we have no idea where we really stand with each other.  It's like we need an updated relationship status or something.  I miss hanging out over coffee or a drink. I miss a time before facebook.  I think I miss the landline. lol.  I don't have any money to spend on home parties. . .though these home parties might be fun. . .maybe I'd make some new friends there. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment